Strengthening New Jersey’s Tourism and Gaming Industry
- In an effort to strengthen the state’s gaming industry, a law sponsored by Assemblyman Burzichelli enables casino patrons to wager on casino games over the Internet.
Protecting Consumers and Preventing Fraud
- A new law sponsored by Senator Sweeney revised the “Contractors’ Registration Act” to require state-issued identification badges for home improvement contractors. The law is intended to help consumers avoid fraud, particularly in light of Hurricane Sandy. It requires a home improvement contractor to wear a state-issued identification badge whenever the contractor is performing, engaging, or attempting to engage, in selling home improvements.
- Assemblyman Burzichelli and Assemblywoman Riley are also sponsors of the “Consumer Credit Fairness Act,” which would provide additional protections for consumers from being pursued by a debt collection agency.
- Senator Sweeney and Assemblyman Burzichelli have sponsored legislation that would prohibit retailers from advertising the after-rebate price of an item, unless the amount of an available manufacturer’s rebate is provided by the retailer at the time the item is purchased. As of June 2012 the measure passed the Assembly and is currently awaiting consideration in the Senate Commerce Committee.
- In an effort to curb scrap metal thefts, Assemblywoman Riley sponsored legislation to strengthen regulations at scrap metal businesses. The legislation is currently awaiting approval by the Governor.
- Assemblywoman Riley and Assemblyman Burzichelli are also the sponsors of a new law that allows consumers to redeem points earned from debit or rewards-card purchases made elsewhere – such as at supermarkets or other retailers – for reduced prices at the gas pump.
Holding Telecommunication Service Providers Accountable
- In response to telecommunication issues from residents in rural areas, Assemblywoman Riley sponsored legislation that would require telecommunications companies to provide prorated refunds for service outages of periods longer than 24 hours.