We recently passed bipartisan legislation which includes a $3,000 personal exemption on the New Jersey State Income Tax for every honorably discharged veteran. This tax deduction is available to all of our brave U.S. military veterans, including our valiant National Guard members.
In addition to passing this personal exemption, we’ve worked on a number of different projects and legislation intended to support veterans across the state. These include:
- The Military Dependents Scholarship Fund Act to provide college scholarships for the children of fallen military heroes;
- The Veterans Haven Council to prevent veteran homelessness;
- Vets4Warriors: New Jersey’s Veteran to Veteran peer support program telephone hotline ;
- Helmets to Hardhats Program to assist veterans looking for work in the construction industry;
- Funding Tax and Incentive Programs for Veterans and Veteran-owned businesses; and
- Legislation to provide in-state tuition rates for our higher education institutions for veterans and their families.
We also worked to ensure the upcoming state budget includes a $250,000 appropriation for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Holmdel, which includes a museum and educational center.
With Senate President Sweeney having previously served as Freeholder Director in Gloucester County, we were able to build the Veterans Memorial Cemetery, create a full time Veterans Affairs Office, open a health clinic for veterans, and begin the acclaimed Wall of Heroes Memorial to honor those men and women killed or missing in action in service to the United States Military.
As a veteran you deserve the gratitude of our state and our nation for your service and we hope these projects and legislation continue to serve you well. We hope that you will never hesitate to contact us with your advice and counsel as we continue to work to better the lives of veterans in our district and around the state.
Steve Sweeney, Senate President
John Burzichelli, Assembly Deputy Speaker
Adam Taliaferro, Assemblyman